Yosemite National Park, California // February 11-13
We are partnering with amazing The Redwoods in Yosemite near Wawona, CA and have rented out multiple cabins near their event space so we can all stay close by together and sleep comfortably! Your ticket price includes your lodging for the night of the 11th and the 12th as well as all the meals during our time together.
SCHEDULE & TOPICS
FEBRUARY 11 // ARRIVAL DAY
Check-in to cabins and meet at base camp for dinner + pre-workshop hang out (optional)
FEBRUARY 12 // DAY ONE
Session 1: Introductions and Building an Adventure Wedding Brand
- Our personal transitions from shooting large, traditional weddings to specializing in adventurous intimate weddings and elopements
- How to build a brand that reflects your love for the outdoors and attracts the clients you want
- How to create a unique online presence that makes you stand out
Live Scouting Session in Yosemite
- What we look for when location scouting
- How to plan an outdoor elopement with you couple
- How to prepare yourself + your clients for the best and worst case scenarios in the outdoors
- Leave No Trace policies + how to respect the environment you're in
Two-Hour Afternoon Live Photoshoot
- Two couples (10 photographers per couple), one hour with each
- One couple will be in wedding attire, one in casual "adventure session" attire
- Gear choices and settings used for outdoor photography
- How we create photos that both capture the emotions of our couples and the landscape around them
- Posing + directing for real emotion, a relaxing experience for your couples, and beautiful photos close up and pulled back
Session 2: Debriefing the Live Shoot
- What we learned about lighting, posing, location scouting, etc. and Q+A related to the shoot
- Live culling + editing with Abbi + Maddie (you can edit + cull with us!)
- Open discussion as we cull, edit, and create beautiful photos from our shoot
FEBRUARY 13 // DAY TWO
Session 3: Systems, Workflow, SEO + Social Media
- Our workflow from the first inquiry to the final gallery
- Blogging & SEO
- Instagram for Adventurers: how to attract your ideal client on social media
- Hiking elopement logistics
- Contract clauses for liability
- Tools & Tricks (our favorite software & life hacks)
Optional post-workshop hike in Yosemite! Let's remember what we're here for - our love of the outdoors!
- Half-Day waterfall hike in Yosemite Valley with Maddie + The Hearnes
- Open chat, time to ask questions and of course, bring your camera!
$1700 | Includes:
- Two days of instruction from two of the most qualified adventure elopement & intimate wedding photographers in the market
- Two nights accommodations in cabins nearby and 6 meals provided
- A live portfolio-building shoot with two different couples in Yosemite National Park
- Can be blogged/shared as one elopement and one adventure session
- Take-home materials to keep you refreshed and help you remember everything you've learned
- 25% off one future mentoring session with Maddie or Abbi
- An amazing adventure experience in the beautiful Yosemite National Park!
Who is this Workshop for?
This workshop is for photographers with a passion for the outdoors who want to learn the skills necessary to thrive in the adventure elopement & intimate outdoor wedding market. It is designed to be most valuable to photographers who have been in business for at least one year. Whether you're a seasoned wedding pro who is burnt out on ballrooms, or a portrait, family, or fashion photographer wanting to make the jump into intimate outdoor weddings, we'd love to guide & equip you with the knowledge to succeed in this space. Feel free to ask us if this workshop is right for you.
How can I sign up?
Is lodging/accommodation included?
Yes! We are partnering with The Redwoods in Yosemite and have rented out multiple cabins near their event space so we can all stay close by and sleep comfortably! Your ticket price includes your lodging for the night of the 11th and the 12th. These are vacation rental cabins, so some rooms have multiple beds and beds range from twin to king size. We have rented enough cabins for every attendee to have their own room (even though some rooms have multiple beds). If you would like to share rooms to reduce costs, please let us know when you sign up. Once we have everyone booked for this workshop, we will get in touch with you about the possibility of a discount for sharing a room.
What is Yosemite like in the Winter?
While Yosemite is in southern California, it is at an elevation to 4,000-6,000ft (1,200-1,800m) above sea level and will likely have some snow on the ground in February. The weather in Yosemite in the winter is snowy & cold, but sunny & chilly days are not uncommon. Temperatures range from 53°F (12°C) to 28°F (-2°C). There is also always the possibility of a snowstorm, and this may affect our schedule (especially our planned live shoots in Yosemite valley). In the case of bad weather (like a snowstorm, or temperatures below freezing), it may be necessary for us to amend the schedule, change to a backup location near our lodging for the shoot, or even do an indoor cabin shoot, or have a backup teaching session instead. This workshop is definitely for adventurers who are flexible and can go with the flow, and take whatever nature throws at us.
- We recommend reading this article from the national park about Yosemite in winter as well as making sure you are aware about the tire chain laws for the Yosemite area. Before you secure a rental vehicle, make sure your rental company allows tire chains/cables, and make sure you purchase or rent some before heading to the park.
Are we going to shoot at Glacier Point or Taft Point?
Glacier Point Road is closed from November - Late May because of snow, so we will not be shooting at either of these points. We will be shooting in Yosemite Valley with El Cap, Half Dome, the Merced River, and Yosemite Falls as our backdrops. For Yosemite Valley inspiration, see these two blog posts from The Hearnes: ONE TWO
When does the workshop start and end?
The official workshop begins at 9am on February 12th, but we will be gathering together for an optional dinner and hang out the evening of the 11th after everyone checks into their rooms. The workshop will officially end after lunch at 12:30pm on February 13th, but Abbi, Callen, and Maddie will be going on a hike in the valley afterwards and you are welcome (and encouraged) to join us! The optional hike will end by 5pm.
How do I get to and from the workshop?
Our workshop is two days, but we highly suggest giving yourself extra time to enjoy the area and maybe even road trip in if you're nearby! If you are planning to fly in, we suggest looking at flights into the following airports:
- FAT - Fresno Airport (about 1.5 hours from where we're staying in Wawona)
- SJC - San Jose International Airport (about 1.5 hours from where we're staying in Wawona)
- OAK - Oakland International Airport (about 4 hours from we're staying in Wawona)
- SMF - Sacramento International Airport (about 4 hours from we're staying in Wawona)
- SFO - San Francisco International Airport (about 4.5 hours from where we're staying in Wawona)
We will be creating Facebook group of all attendees to coordinate carpools and shared rentals.
We recommend reading this article from the national park about Yosemite in winter as well as making sure you are aware about the tire chain laws for the Yosemite area. Before you secure a rental vehicle, make sure your rental company allows tire chains/cables, and make sure you purchase or rent some before heading to the park.
When is my final payment due?
If you've chosen to pay half of your registration fee as a down payment, our final payment is due no later than 30 days before the workshop on January 11th, 2018. If you fail to do so, your spot and your down payment amount will be forfeited.
What if I change my mind?
Our Return Policy: Cancellation for any reason will result in a 100% loss of all monies paid unless you find someone else to take over your spot in the workshop. This isn't so we make money for free—its to help protect ourselves from uncommitted consumers purchasing our very limited spots. Please be sure when you make your purchase.
What if the workshop is cancelled?
Should we, for unforeseen reasons, need to cancel a workshop (which rarely happens), you will be refunded the full amount paid. However, we cannot be held liable for any fees you might incur for airline ticket cancellations, so please make sure to purchase travel insurance if you are flying to attend one of our workshops.